We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to farmers, enabling better quality, and more reliable, traceable and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients at scale is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary portfolio of natural, delicious and nutritious products. With our fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts, and spices so they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet consumer expectations. And whoever we’re with, whatever we’re doing, we always make it real.
Reporting to Quality and Food Safety Manager for Olde Thompson East, the Food Safety Supervisor will oversee the quality lab for one of ofi’s spice packing plants. This position will oversee a team of lab associates and together the team will work to maintain the highest quality assurance and control for all raw materials (spices and packaging) as well as finished goods produced at the plant. The Food Safety Supervisor and team will perform required analysis of the food, ingredients, raw and finished goods, analyze data, interpret results, and write reports. The Food Safety Supervisor will also communicate the challenges and opportunities for their specific categories to their direct manager. The Food Safety Supervisor will also oversee the plant’s Sanitation and Pest Control Programs the direction of the QFS Manager. The Food Safety Supervisor will interact with other plants to develop standards and procedures for multiple sites.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a background as a Food Safety Supervisor in spices or a related field—specializations in microbiology and food chemistry are preferred. Experience in in Sanitation and/or Pest Control preferred in a food manufacturing environment preferred. They should be comfortable collaborating with internal stakeholders on key improvement and KPI development, as well as working independently to ensure deadlines are met. They should work well under multiple competing demands and be able to successfully manage workload.
- Direct and implement testing protocols for all inbound raw materials (ingredients and packaging), providing expertise on key food safety measures that will improve QA outcomes
- Participate in cross-departmental improvement initiatives by providing QA expertise and analysis as required
- Oversee quality analysis results and advise cross-departmental teams in corresponding actions.
- Follow standard operating procedures for the laboratory facilities.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and train lab team in proper maintenance procedures as required.
- Consult on specification development of raw materials and finished goods
- Maintain accurate records of formulations, procedures, and processes in appropriate QA/QC systems.
- Provide training, work delegation and feedback to Technicians as required.
- Lead pest control improvements by working with and being primary contact for pest control provider, evaluating recommendations and working with QFS Manger to implement improvements and monitor performance.
- Lead sanitation improvements through working with Sanitation team to develop and implement process improvements based on risk assessment.
- Work with OT Technical team as support for specification development and review.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Microbiology, Food Chemistry, or related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Seven (7) years of relevant work experience in food safety, quality assurance and quality control for the food industry.
- Understanding of basic food processing is required.
- Experience leading/managing teams is preferred.
- Experience managing quality lab for food and ingredient organization related to spices, seasonings, or related consumer products is highly preferred
- Experience in leading and supporting Sanitation is preferred
- Experience is leading supporting Pest Control activities is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are required.
- Great attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and communicate with internal customers is required.
- Desire and ability to travel, up to 10% of the time, across North America is required.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ofi provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at: [email protected]
At ofi, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.