Job Title: Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager
Location: Deming, NM
FLSA Status: (to be assigned by Corporate HR): Exempt
We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to farmers, enabling better quality, and more reliable, traceable and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients at scale is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary portfolio of natural, delicious and nutritious products. With our fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts and spices so they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet consumer expectations. And whoever we’re with, whatever we’re doing, we always make it real.
Reporting to Plant Manager in Deming, NM the Environment, Health & Safety, (EHS) Manager will be responsible for managing Environment, Health & Safety at the Deming, NM Facility. The EHS Manager will ensure a safe and accident-free workplace as well as the preservation of the environment. The EHS Manager leads the process to train managers, EHS colleagues and employees in work site SHS practices. This position will inspect the organization’s facilities to detect existing or potential accident hazards and determine corrective or preventive measures. The EHS Manager will follow-up to ensure compliance. This position will oversee the investigation of workplace accidents, root cause analysis and monitor corrective action implementation. The EHS Manager will maintain accident reports required by regulatory agencies and will works with corporate EHS leaders to reduce injuries and lost work time. The EHS Manager will maintain environmental compliance and preservation while overseeing the EHS processes..
The ideal candidate for this position will be knowledgeable and well verses in environmental and health and safety. Previous experience having led diverse teams through positive and dynamic change management will be required for success in this position. You will work to lead and influence behaviors of salaried and hourly employees, including senior leadership. Ability to handle multiple competing demands in a fast-paced environment will be required.
- Manage EHS programs and defined staff to ensure a safe and accident-free work environment and provide coaching and mentoring to colleagues within the New Mexico businesses.
- Oversee EHS processes to provide the road map to zero injuries and world class performance.
- Plan and deliver programs to train managers and employees in work site EHS practices.
- Study causes of industrial and agricultural accidents and recommend EHS processes to address areas where the organization may be at risk.
- Inspect facilities and equipment to detect existing or potential accident hazards and determine corrective or preventive measures.
- Establish plant EHS policies/procedures to ensure compliance with company policies and federal/state/local regulatory requirements.
- Promote plant EHS by working with all departments to analyze current situations and recommend EHS improvements.
- Analyze incident data to identify trends and incident types that can be prevented.
- Oversee the incident investigation process to determine root cause and timely corrective action.
- Manage and establish objectives for the overall EHS program. Work directly with the Director Environmental, Health & Safety to ensure alignment across the Olam Americas SHS team.
- Track progress and publish results on current EHS objectives and metrics.
- Drive EHS process ownership to the floor level where appropriate.
- Develop training programs for all levels of operations with the objective to have a safer, more efficient, engaged, and productive plant and field department.
- Manage and monitor training programs to meet EHS requirements.
- Assure all records are kept in accordance with State and Federal regulations including OSHA logs and training documents.
- Develop, implement, and recommend programs and practices designed to reduce work-related injuries and illnesses including but not limited to ergonomic assessments and job hazard analysis.
- Support Human Resources and Plant Manager on Workers’ Compensation cases with a focus on returning employees to work following workplace injuries.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree is required, major in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Occupational Health, Industrial Hygiene, EHS Engineering or another related field is preferred.
- Ten (10) years EHS management experience in an agricultural and/or manufacturing environment is required. Experience should include:
- Experience in hazard recognition, evaluation and analysis, and development and implementation of control processes.
- Experience leading and influencing and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in developing and managing training programs to promote workplace health and safety.
- Experience with Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development and training delivery.
- Experience working with data, database applications, and reporting (SAP-EHS, TREO, etc.)
- Knowledge of EHS equipment.
- Knowledge of safety, industrial and environmental testing methods.
- Experience in providing technical support to adhere to EHS policies.
- Applied knowledge and working understanding of OSHA, EPA, regulatory compliance, experience with inspections, incident investigations, remediation, process safety, contractor safety, EHS training, hazard reviews, and job EHS analysis.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work overnight up to 30% is required.
- Valid state drivers’ license and clean driving record is required. Access to reliable transportation is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint is required.
- Strong organizing, planning, analytical problem-solving and decision making are required.
- Resilience, persistence, and optimism is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish, is required. Ability to speak, read, and interpret documents in English and Spanish such as EHS rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals is required.
- Ability to train on the use of diagnostic equipment/tools. Ability to write in English routine maintenance reports or correspondence is required.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ofi provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at: [email protected]
At ofi, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.