We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to farmers, enabling better quality, and more reliable, traceable and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients at scale is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary portfolio of natural, delicious and nutritious products. With our fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts and spices so they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet consumer expectations. And whoever we’re with, whatever we’re doing, we always make it real.
Reporting directly to the Plant Manager, the EHS Specialist will work with plant management to ensure a safe and accident-free workplace. They will plan, implement, and oversee the company’s environmental and safety programs. This position will hold monthly safety meetings, coordinate occupational health needs visit, and ensure the company complies and adheres to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) guidelines to reduce work-related injuries as well as ensure and maintain environmental compliance and preservation.
A qualified EHS Specialist will be able to analyze complex plans to identify any environmental and/or safety concern and inefficiencies. They will have effective skills with leading teams and training employees. They should be approachable and outgoing with an ability to communicate effectively.
- Assist Plant Manager and Human Resources, as needed in supporting their efforts in administering the Workers Compensation and Employee Return to Work (RTW) Programs. Work closely with HR Management to oversee RTW steps.
- Review, analyze, and investigate work related accidents and/or injury reports. Identify themes and opportunities to present to leadership.
- Ensure business provides forklift training and certifications for new hires and recertifications for existing employees.
- Conduct employee monthly safety meetings at all assigned facilities.
- Conduct investigations into employee inquiries, suggestions, and complaints or incidents.
- Respond to and provide support during work-related incidents. Must be willing to respond to incidents during off hours as needed by the business.
- Develop and implement hazmat procedures and policies.
- Identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices in the workplace and make safety or environmental recommendations as needed.
- Conduct and coordinate on-site inspections to audit physical conditions and safe work practices.
- Facilitate on-site respiratory protection and annual hearing tests, ensuring proper tracking and documentation.
- Work with production management team on implementing employee safety programs, provide environmental and safety training and follow up as needed.
- Maintain waste specifications, material labels and tracking documents for routine waste collection and projects.
- Assists in preparation of various forms & documents required for hazardous and non-hazardous shipments in accordance with USEPA, NJDEP and local requirements and internal procedures.
- Facilitate submittal of NJDEP emergency planning and community right to know requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, majors in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Occupational Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental or Safety Engineering or another related field is preferred.
- Less than 5 years of Environmental, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health and/or Safety experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to travel and work overnight up to 10% is required.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required. Will be required to travel between ofi facilities.
- Demonstrated skill in training, development, and implementation of health and EHS programs is required
- Ability to train on the use of diagnostic equipment/tools. Ability to write in English routine maintenance reports or correspondence
- Previous experience in training, development, and implementation of health and EHS programs is required
- Applied knowledge and working understanding of OSHA, EPA, regulatory compliance, experience with inspections, incident investigations, remediation, process safety, contractor safety, EHS training, hazard reviews, and job safety analysis is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint is required
- Strong organizing, planning, analytical problem-solving and decision making are required.
- Resilience, persistence, and optimism is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Bilingual, English, and Spanish are required. Ability to speak, read, and interpret documents in English and Spanish such as EHS rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals are required.
- Ability to train on the use of diagnostic equipment/tools. Ability to write in English routine maintenance reports or environmental and safety correspondence.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Olam provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at: [email protected].
At ofi, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.