We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to farmers, enabling better quality, and more reliable, traceable, and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients on a scale is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary portfolio of natural, delicious and nutritious products. With our fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts and spices so they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet consumer expectations. And whoever we’re with, whatever we’re doing, we always make it real.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President – North America (NA) Engineering, the Director of Engineering – Automation and control will be responsible for managing various engineering function improvements, helping to develop the ofi automation plan and structure for North America and managing projects. This position supports all activities related to the development and execution of projects and initiatives, including procurement of control equipment, spare parts, and contract services, and the development of controls, equipment, and materials standards. This position will provide key leadership and guidance to facilities for automation needs. They will lead and develop detailed execution plans for projects and execute the plans within established budgets by organizing and controlling project elements to ensure Right First Time. This position will be based out of the Fresno office and will support North American plants.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with cross functional manufacturing and related teams to develop and implement controls and automation improvements and systems. Excellent Industrial Automation & Control Engineering knowledge, Including Electrical & Control Detail Engineering. Proficiency with field instrumentation, and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based control systems and SCADA systems. Basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and thermal processes. and end of line automation with robot controls of processing and packaging lines.
Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines. Knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes and how to apply automation to achieve optimum cost and quality results. A solid understanding of engineering documentation such as Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), process flow diagrams and standard operating procedures.
- Experience in setting up of automation department and organization.
- Experience with System Integrators (SI) and working experience with installation and commissioning of processing plants and packaging machinery.
- Design and selection of control systems of larger processing plants (PLC, Networking, DCS And SCADA).
- Prepare the control strategy for NA plants complying to global standard with support from SME/consultants and implement the same at all plants.
- To have regular interaction with regional engineering to understand the support needed for development on controls & automation projects and prepare plan to implement.
- Study current machines, utility designs, and layout to find opportunities for process and/or engineering improvements through automation.
- Develop automation and control project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans and align with stakeholders.
- Prepare bid sheets and contracts for controls, instrumentation, and electrical construction and equipment modifications.
- Prepare automation and control project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends and recommend actions.
- Control project costs by monitoring expenditures and maintain project data base on computer/MS Project. Ensure all information and back up data is entered.
- Confirm project performance by conducting tests/trials of installed machinery and implement policies, procedures, and systems for Capex management as defined by Olam Engineering function.
- Establish and comply with engineering Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), benchmarking against best in class to validate performance and improvements in engineering practices.
- Coordinate for and/or develop and deliver training for critical systems, regulations and standards, and equipment operation and maintenance.
- Provide technical, programming and design services in support of Instrumentation & Controls/Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) design and implementation projects as a part of a project team.
- Provide support and direction to Maintenance personnel who are managing field activities.
- Update and maintain technical documentation and information.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of electricians and instrument technicians engaged in installing, maintaining, and repairing plant equipment and machinery. Assist with troubleshooting on higher level electrical and control processes.
- Provide project management services to the operating departments. Provide ongoing support for Plant Operations, including advances in automation, servo control, robotics, and the application of sensor technology.
- Responsible for control system architecture and design basis & specifications
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation, Control or Electrical Engineering or related field is required. Candidate may substitute four (4) years of relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- Ten (10) years of experience in food processing, agriculture, chemical or pharmaceutical is required. Candidate substituting years of experience in lieu of degree must have a total of fourteen (14) years of relevant experience.
- Must be able to implement National Electric Control (NEC) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code related and code change training for electrical staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships with key influencers and organizations across the organization is required
- Ability to build strong instrumentation and automation team to further support all US Spice business needs is required.
- Ability to solve complex problems and present effective and efficient solutions in a clear and concise manner to management is required.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required. Able and willing to travel between all US Spice facilities, as need, to support business and maintenance functions.
- Proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel is required. AutoCAD and MS Project proficiency is required or must be developed.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Must be detail orientated and organized.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing methods, process improvement, problem-solving techniques and procedures is required.
- Proven ability to facilitate within a team, with the ability to influence and manage internal customers and external suppliers/contractors to ensure the timely success of the project is required.
The pay for this role in the state of CA ranges from $190,000 - $210,000 and is based on the position responsibilities and geographic location. Actual pay within that range may be determined based on candidate experience, qualifications and/or other determining factors.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ofi provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at: [email protected]
At ofi, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.